Subtropical storm Alberto, the first named storm of the season, has made landfall in the US state of Florida, bringing with it heavy rains and strong winds, weather officials said.
Florida Governor Rick Scott, who issued a state of emergency on Saturday in all of the state's 67 counties, said on Sunday that the Florida National Guard had 5,500 guard members ready to be deployed if needed.
Hurricane Irma bears down on Tampa after leaving trail of devastation across Florida - latest news telegraph.co.uk
Hurricane Irma gave Florida a coast-to-coast pummelling with winds up to 130 mph on Sunday, swamping homes and boats, knocking out power to millions and toppling massive construction cranes over the Miami skyline.
Hurricane Irma New Records
- top winds of 185 miles per hour for 37 straight hours
- longest time as a Category 5 hurricane
- lowest minimum pressure (915 millibars) outside of the western Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico
- two hurricanes (Irma, Jose) with 150+ miles per hour winds in the Atlantic at the same time
- sets new Atlantic record for Accumulated Cyclone Energy generated in a 24-hr period
More Hurricane Irma Records: webcms.colostate.edu/tropical/media/sites/111/2...