besan cheela recipe, how to make besan chilla | veg omelette
besan cheela recipe with step by step photos – besan cheela is a savory pancake made with gram flour, spices & herbs. grated veggies can also be added to make the recipe more nutritious.
i make besan cheela often, but some how never managed to add the recipe. usually i make the recipe shared here, but at times i also add grated cabbage and carrot. a basic cheela recipe would be with just the spices sans any onions or tomatoes. there are a number of variations that can be done to a basic cheela recipe. you can also have a look at this tomato omelette recipe which is similar. apart from veggies, you can even add greens like amaranth, fenugreek (methi) and spinach (palak).
we do prefer tomatoes in all our recipes and they taste too good in a cheela, so i add them. but skip if you do not like. if using tomatoes, do make sure you chop them finely. you can even grate the tomato and add.
besan cheela is one of the quick breakfast or brunch or evening snack one can make. you just need to mix everything and prepare the cheela. these besan cheelas also make for a healthy tiffin box snack.
besan cheela - spiced savory gram flour pancakes. easy breakfast or snack idea.
recipe type: breakfast
cuisine: north indian, punjabi
serves: 6 cheelas
ingredients (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
1 cup besan/gram flour
1 small onion, finely chopped or ¼ cup finely chopped onion
1 small tomato, finely chopped or ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes
¼ cup chopped coriander leaves/dhania patta
1 small green chili, finely chopped or ½ to ⅔ teaspoon finely chopped green chilies
½ inch ginger, finely chopped or ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger
½ tsp carom seeds/ajwain or cumin seeds/jeera
2 to 3 pinches of turmeric powder/haldi
¼ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
½ to ⅔ cup water or add as required
salt as per taste
oil as required
how to make the recipe:
1. take 1 cup besan in a mixing bowl.
2. add all the ingredients except water and oil.
3. now first add ½ cup water.
4. with a wired whisk begin to mix everything. if the batter looks thick, then add 1 to 3 tbsp more water. i overall added ⅔ cup water. depending on the quality and texture of besan, addition of water will be more or less.
5. mix to a smooth flowing consistency in the batter. break lumps if any while mixing batter.
6. heat a tawa or a flat pan on a low flame. you can use an iron tawa or a non stick pan. if using iron griddle or tawa, then spread a bit of oil on the tawa.
7. let the pan become medium hot. then take a ladle full of the batter and pour on the pan.
8. gently with the back of the ladle, begin to spread the batter.
9. spread lightly and gently so that the cheela does not break.
10. on a low flame cook the cheela till the top begins to look cooked.
11. then drizzle ½ to 1 tsp oil on the cheela at the edges and all around.
12. continue to cook till the base gets light golden.
13. flip and now cook the other side.
14. cook this side till you see golden spots on the chilla.
15. fold and serve hot or warm. besan chillas are best had hot. but if you are not able to serve them hot, then place them in a casserole. they remain warm and can be served later.
16. serve besan cheelas plain or with any chutney of your choice.
for small kids, skip the green chilies and red chili powder.
recipe can be doubled or tripled.