Professor Ernest Brennecke of Columbia is credited with inventing a sentence that can be made to have eight different meanings by placing ONE WORD in all possible positions in the sentence:
*"I kissed her in the train yesterday."*
The word is *"ONLY"*.
1. ONLY I kissed her in the train yesterday. (No one else did).
2. I ONLY kissed her in the train yesterday. (Confirmation)
3. I kissed ONLY her in the train yesterday. (I did not kiss others).
4. I kissed her ONLY in the train yesterday (I did not kiss outside the train).
5. I kissed her in ONLY the train yesterday (Not other places).
6. I kissed her in the ONLY train yesterday (no other train that day).
7. I kissed her in the train ONLY yesterday (Not today).
8. I kissed her in the train yesterday ONLY (Did not wait for today).
This is the beauty and complexity of the English language...!!!!
Submit and share your interesting website links in our online social networking site.